Did a couple of international trips by now and want to share what I learned:
- drive as close to your checkin-terminal as possible - money is well spend if it saves you time and distance in handling your baby and luggage
- plan a little extra time if you use a stroller - you sometimes can't use stairs and catching an elevators is always challenging in an crowded airport
- at check in, tell them you would like to take your stroller and car seat with you to the gate, magic word: 'gate-check'. It's a great relief if you don't have to carry your baby all the way - and most smaller babies will nap in their strollers
- ask for a free seat for your certified car seat or at least a free seat for your baby.
- if you fly by yourself, most airlines will allow you to bring another person to the gate - that can be a big help, especially through security or if you have to use the bathroom.
Optimistic, curious, human bee.